T-100
Home > Tanks > T-100
modified: Nov 10, 2012

T-100 Sotka was a Soviet heavy tank prototype. It was designed by Barykov's OKMO team at Zavod Nr. 185 in competition with the SMK to replace the T-35.

The original specification called for an 'anti-tank gun destroyer' with five turrets and armor effective against a 37mm gun at any distance and a 76.2mm gun at distances over 1,200 meters. It was later lowered to three turrets since both teams protested. The T-100 and SMK models were presented to a special meeting of the Defense Council of the SNK in May 1938. The requirement was further modified to two turrets since Kotin criticized the three-turret plan.

The twin-turret T-100 and SMK designs were shown at a special meeting of the Central Committee of the Communist Party in August 1938 and both were approved. Kotin was granted permssion to work on a single-turreted version of the SMK called the KV Tank after Klimenti Voroshilov, the Defense Commissar at the time.

The T-100 had a main turret with a 76.2mm gun and a smaller turret armed with a 45mm gun. The T-100 prototype was finished in May 1939. The SMK, T-100, and KV prototypes were all sent to NIIBT in September 1939 for display and trials. The KV outperformed both the SMK and T-100 in mobility. The tanks also took part in the Finnish War as part of the 20th Heavy Tank Brigade. The KV was accepted as the new heavy tank of the Red Army. The T-100 project was terminated.

The commander of the Soviet 7th Army in Finland, K. Meretskov requested a heavy tank with a more powerful gun than the KV to destroy reinforced bunkers. This request initiated three projects. One of these was a T-100 prototype rebuilt by the OKMO team to add a superstructure armed with a 130mm B-13 naval gun. It was designated the SU-100Y. Although it was never mass-produced, the prototype was used in the defense of Moscow in 1941.



References: STCV