T-33
Home > Tanks > T-33
modified: Nov 10, 2012

The T-33 was the first attempt to develop a derivative of the VCL amphibious tank. The Soviets bought VCL amphibious tanks alongside the VCL Mk VI tankettes. After arriving in Russia in 1931, they were sent to Zavod Nr. 37. A team led by N. Kozyrev started development under the designation MT-33 (Maliy Tank-33, Small Tank-33). The project was later renamed the T-33 and a prototype was constructed. Other derivatives of the VCL tank were the T-41 and T-34. All of them were unsatisfactory leading to the development of a fourth derivative, the T-37.



References: STCV