T-34 VCL derivative
Home > Tanks > T-34 VCL derivative
modified: Nov 10, 2012

The T-34 light tank (not to be confused with the famous T-34) was a Soviet attempt to develop a non-amphibious derivative of the VCL amphibious tanks which were bought by the Soviet Union alongside the VCL Mk VI tankettes. After arriving in Russia in 1931, they were sent to Zavod Nr. 37 where a team led by Kozyrev developed the T-34. It mounted a 7.62mm DT machine gun. 2,500 rounds of ammunition were stowed.

The T-34 was intended to be a scout tank that would also be suitable for airborne troops. However after trials, neither the T-34 nor two other derivatives showed satisfactory results. Therefore a fourth derivative, the T-37 was developed.


References: STCV