T-37
Home > Tanks > T-37
modified: Nov 10, 2012

The T-37 was a Soviet amphibious reconnaissance tank produced in the 1930s. It is the world's first amphibious tank to go into service. The T-37 was the fourth attempt to develop a derivative of the VCL amphibious tank after the T-33, T-41, and T-34 were unsuccessful. The T-37 had a GAZ-AA engine and power-train with an improved suspension based on that of the French AMR-33 light tank. It was approved to replace the T-27 for Red Army service on August 11, 1933. In the same month, a special unit under the command of A. Zhukov was formed in the Leningrad Military District. This special unit drove seven T-37s for 700 kilometers, 600 of which were in water, in eleven days. After this trial, major technical glitches were fixed and the new improved version was called the T-37A. However after a short time, the new version was dropped due to its complexity and mass production began with the original T-37. Between 1933 and 1936, about 1,200 T-37s were built.

Variants of the T-37 include the T-37TU, a command version with a 'clothes-line' antenna that run around the hull. The turrets of some T-37s were all-welded like those of the T-35 and T-28 and had modified driving positions. Furthermore, some T-37s produced in late 1936 had redesigned hulls with flotation pontoons on the side of the hulls.

After the failed T-43 project, the team of N. Astrov with chief engineer N. Kozyrev at the design bureau of Zavod Nr. 37 began modernization work on the T-37. The result of this modification was the T-38.



References: STCV