T-70
Home > Tanks > T-70
modified: Nov 10, 2012
The T-70 was a Soviet light tank that succeeded the T-60 with better armor and firepower. Its development began in late 1941 by N. Astrov's team. It was intended to have a frontal armor of 45mm and a 45mm main gun.

The T-70 had two GAZ-202 truck engines, one on each side of the hull. Each engine powered one track and the two engines were unsynchronized. It had a conical turret. After a small number were produced, it was discovered that the power-train layout was not feasible. Astrov's team placed the engines in a row and used conventional transmission and differential arrangement. The turret was also redesigned with a flat armor plate. For easier assembly, the turret was moved to the left, the engines to the right. This new version was designated the T-70M and accepted into the Red Army in March 1942. Some of the old tanks retained the conical turret but it was replaced with a flat panel turret after April 1942.

The T-70 was produced at Zavod Nr. 37, GAZ, and Zavod Nr. 38. In September 1942, the T-70 has completely replaced T-60 production. When production ended in October 1943, 8,226 tanks have been produced. The last batch of T-70s were powered by the more powerful GAZ-203 engine. A traversable MK-4 periscope was also installed for the driver replacing the view-slit.

The chassis of the T-70 was used to mount one or two SU-37 antiaircraft guns.



References: OW, STCV, WW2T